This site uses cookies. By continuing, your consent is assumed. Learn more

148.9fm shares

Auburn mayor charged with sexual harassment


The man whose lawsuit led to the uncovering of sexual assault allegations against former mayor Ed Murray has died, according to the King County Medical Examiner.

Man who accused disgraced ex-mayor...

Delvonn Heckard, 47, died in Auburn Friday. According to the medical examiner, the cause and manner of his death are pending.

The Seattle Times reports Heckard was found dead of an apparent drug overdose in an Auburn motel. Delvonn Heckard sued Murray last April, alleging Murray raped and molested him in the s when Heckard Auburn mayor charged with sexual harassment a teenager struggling with drug addiction and Murray was in his 30s. By September, five men had publicly accused Murray of sexual abuse. Murray denied all of the allegations.

Two of those accusers, Jeff Simpson and Lloyd Anderson had attempted to come forward to the media nearly a decade earlier, but their allegations were not reported. Heckard's lawsuit reopened the Seattle Times investigation into the story.

The man whose lawsuit led...

Throughout last year, new information came to light about the allegations, but Murray refused for months to resign. Simpson, Murray's former foster son, had contacted a lawyer about his allegations back in That lawyer told The Stranger in April he believed his client but did not pursue the case because of the statute of limitations.

Those records showed that Child Protective Services had found Simpson's allegations valid.

Man who accused former Seattle...

Dyer said he was coming forward because he was angry at the way Murray was denying the other allegations. The same day the Seattle Times published Dyer's allegations, Murray said he would resign.

And really it's not about him being mayor or not being mayor, it's never been about his position and his job. I wasn't in it for that, or for the money. Those were the least of my concerns. It was just me coming forward and telling the truth, and the public knowing that the man who was their mayor did this to me.

Especially when we dropped the lawsuit—I know the public felt I was lying and that really hurt They should know now I wasn't lying. After initially filing the suit last year, Heckard dropped the case. Beauregard said at the time Heckard could not get a fair trial while Murray was mayor.

He also said that Heckard, who was living in a recovery center in Kent, wanted to complete his counseling and recovery before re-filing the suit. In October, Heckard re-filed his case. His second suit named not only Murray but the City of Seattle, saying the city allowed Murray to spread "false and harmful information" about Heckard.

News feed